The Only Dressing You'll Ever Need: Basil & Lemon Vinaigrette
Basil Lemon Vinaigrette
One of the easiest ways to elevate a salad is simply with an amazing dressing. The key to making a great salad dressing is two parts:
1. Use a handful of high quality, fresh ingredients
2. Emulsify it - not only does it give you that creamy restaurant quality mouthfeel, but it also will distribute the flavors more evenly
This is my go-to summer vinaigrette. Make a big batch, put it in a mason jar and even just a basic butter lettuce salad feels like a high end meal. Be sure to choose high quality olive oil, use fresh lemon juice, basil and don't forget the salt! That will make the flavor pop.
2/3 c extra virgin olive oil
2/3 c white wine vinegar ( I like Colavita for any vinegars)
Juice of half a large lemon (about 2 TBS)
1 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil
2 TB dijon mustard
1 shallot minced tiny
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp salt
1. Add all ingredients to blender and blend on high until smooth.
2. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- If flavors are not "bright" - add a bit more salt
- If the lemon is very sour - add a small touch of sugar or honey to balance it
- If your mix has not emulsified (it should have a creamy texture) keep blending and add a touch more mustard until it does)
3. Try not to drink this deliciousness as you pour it into mason jar to store. Keep for about 10 days refrigerated.